Monday, August 10, 2009

a little randomness never hurt anyone

24. Finger Lickin' Fifteen, Janet Evanovich

Evanovich is so funny and she's really got what makes her so down. This isn't so much a romance novel as a mystery. Her main character Stephanie Plum is a bond enforcement agent (aka bounty hunter) but not a very good one. Shit happens to her all the time (sometimes to an unbelievealbe amount -- my only complaint) But there's usually a central mystery involved. This isn't a serious mystery novel though. For example in this one a celebrity chef was decaptiated by maniacal (and moronic) butcher; and Lula (one of Stephanie's friends) witnesses the crime. Characters involved: A cross-dressing fireman who has a part time job as Mister Clucky, the local fast-food's mascot, Grandma Mazur who's greatest pleasure in life is trying to open closed caskets at funerals to get a good look at the deceased and a beloved flasher who likes to show is giant "winkie" to all the old ladies on the block before they serve him cookies.

There is an element of romance in most of them. Ranger and Morelli are her two interests and they are very much like Bragg and Calder from the Deadly series. And GOD I love Ranger. These rakes are so appealing in novels, and in real life I suppose, but from experience I know (like my life-summing-up quote) they're better when they stay in the pages. They don't tend to work out as well in real life. sigh.

anywayyyy in this one she didn't really move either relationship forward. She's going to drag it out as long as possible -- and I guess I can't blame her, if all my books in a series ended up on the best seller lists I would milk them too.

23. The perfect bride, Brenda Joyce

I think I O.D.ed on Miss Joyce. It was good, but gahhh. I definitely needed the lighter Evanovich one after I was finished. It's a shame because my last one in the de Warrene series arrived recently. But I don't know if I'm going to read it for a while.

SOOOOO excited, I'm at b&n currently (using the free wi-fi -- I won't need to do that after tomorrow when i finally get internet in my apartment!! whoo) and I'm going to get Suzanne's new one. AHHHHHHHHHH it's going to be sooooo good :)

whoot

til next time, happy readings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment