Saturday, July 25, 2009

Agreed! lol

20. People are unappealing, Sara Barron.

Another instance of branching out, non fictionally at least. I think that’s the way I’m going to do it. Because I was walking through good ole B&N and none of those paperbacks (you know the ones that aren’t quite normal paperbacks, nor are they hardbacks – they’re some where in between allowing publishers to charge you not $8 but $14-$15) looked even mildly appealing. They’re all the same – some middle-aged woman whose “perfect life” falls apart around her – and after she hits what my dad calls the MOS (aka moment of shit) she pulls herself up by her bootstraps and rebuilds her even better life – usually there’s a kind (yet dangerously sexy) handyman thrown in there as well. Or it’s about a young professional trying to figure out her life – and please I’m living that. Anyhoooo – While I’m going to make an effort to read more non-fiction, I’m going to stay away from those $14 paperbacks as I call them.

So the book. It was funny. It made me laugh out loud, which (I know in real life is about as easy as a $2 whore) is hard book-form. Janet Evanovich makes me laugh out loud. And that’s about it – other than an occasional chuckle peppered throughout other novels.

Anyway Barron is amusing. She’s very caustic, judgmental and self-deprecating. It’s just a series of essays about her life. She’s hasn’t even had an extraordinary one – she grew up in suburbia, the daughter of a hypochondriac (OMG – there was a line about how the mother thought every eye twitch was the onset of AIDS and all I could do was relate to how many times Dana Leigh has said something of the same no matter how implausible it might sounds) and a musical-loving effeminate dictionary-definitions writer. She makes her way through h.s. painfully – starting with a incident that involved a stage, a leotard, a first period (*ahem menstrual cycle) and an audience full of peers and their families. She moves to NYC to become an actor but mostly works in Banana Republic (apart from a very brief – read: 5 minutes – stint at Coyote Ugly) and Olive Garden. That’s the book. But she makes it interesting and it was a quick read.

Another nice thing was that there were moments of intense relatability to her (sorry, not the best grammar). She was vulgar (which any one who knows me, knows I am not a fan of) but she said things in a way that I was like – hahah yesss. Exactly.

The funny thing is that she would hateeee me. Various examples throughout the book: I hate this girl ... because she says “sweet” meaning great ... uses lol liberally ... utters “bounce” and “peace” as ways of leaving, etc. I mean, have you ever talked to me? Ever? Lol. (haha)

Anyway I liked it. It was funny and a quick read. And now I’m going to finish the Deadly series once and for all (the library called today to tell me it came in :) yay!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment