Monday, July 6, 2009

oh brenda, oh francesca

13. Deadly Love, Brenda Joyce
(though for some reason the first book is written as "B.D. Joyce"

I have this weird love/hate thing with this series, the Deadly series (yes I decided to read it, I think it has something to do with visiting New York.)

This series is set around the turn of the century in New York City ... where reformers, socialites and tenements abound. Francesca Cahill is a Fifth Avenue princess who gets drawn into the world of the police force when her next door neighbor's child is kidnapped. She traipses around the city (which is very cool, because I just visited a lot of the places she goes) searching for clues, encountering the seedy underbelly of "kids" (children pickpockets) and prostitutes, and trying to maintain a facade of normalcy for the sake of her overprotective family. After they solve the crime, she realizes that she wants to become a "crime-solver extraordinaire" Thus begins the series

So, that brings me to my love/hate. I almost never read a novel where I don't like the main character ... why would I? Butttt, I don't really like Francesca -- she thinks she's clever, and she's not extraordinarily so ... she's arrogant, she doesn't really understand people, but thinks she does; she comes up with possible scenarious and obsesses over them but they don't really make sense ... that being said I still blazed through it ... I hadn't read this one before, for some unknown reason; probably I didn't want to go back and start over
I do love these novels, the writing is pretty good -- except she has this bad habit of word choice repetition blah -- anyway I've purchased the next couple on amazon (gah, which ticks me off because i technically all ready own them) hopefully they come soon!

'til next time, happy readings : )

No comments:

Post a Comment